Monday, October 4, 2010

Imperative Word for the Body of Christ

Don't you just love it when God really wants you to hear a word He will repeat it several times until you've heard it? When listening to sermons, doing Bible study or talking with people I often hear words from the Lord. They pierce my heart and I think to myself, "wow, that was good." Then, other times, I hear the same word in different contexts, through many different venues and it's those times my spirit comes to complete attention. It's like the Lord saying to me, "Amy, wake up, this is really important. I not only want you to hear this, I want you to act on it." I have heard such a word in the last two weeks and now I am going to "act on it."

Repentance, it's important. No, let's take it further, it's imperative. Without repentance we cheapen the gift of grace.

Russell and I visited a church in Leiper's Fork, Tennessee a couple of Sundays ago. In case you are wondering where Leiper's Fork is, it is somewhere in the boonies near Franklin. Great place, you really should visit:)

We pulled up to the church and there on the sign it read, "Those who mourn will find comfort" or something like that. The pastor is doing a series on the Beatitudes and this particular week they were on Matthew 5:4, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."

I must admit when I read the sign I wasn't too excited. I thought the message would be depressing. You know what they say about assumptions...

The pastor went into detail about the word "mourn." Of course to mourn means to grieve due to loss, but in this context it is more accurately referring to Godly sorrow. Sin makes God sorrowful, it grieves His heart. Sin should also grieve ours.

Let's look at II Corinthians 7:10 , "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death." (NIV)

Now the same verse in the Message "Distress that drives us to God does that. It turns us around. It gets us back in the way of salvation. We never regret that kind of pain. But those who let distress drive them away from God are full of regrets, end up on a deathbed of regrets."

The pastor went on to say he feels as believers we are uncomfortable with confronting other's sin and we downplay the need for repentance. For example, when a sister or brother comes to us and confesses a sin, perhaps looking for accountability and/or encouragement we are quick to say, "hey man, don't worry about it, it's no big deal." We downplay the seriousness of sin because it makes us uncomfortable to really look at it face to face. Probably because we too struggle with similar sin and to confront it in another turns the spotlight on our own hearts as well.

We are instructed in James 5:16 to confess our sins to one another so healing may come. Confession is part of repentance. Repentance is part of a Godly lifestyle if we want to live in the abiding place referred to in Psalm 91:1.

As the body of Christ we must stop sugar coating sin. Let's call it what it is!

Now, in effort to convey a balanced scriptural view on the subject I must say I do not believe anyone should wallow in guilt or condemnation. Holding onto sin and allowing the enemy to tell us we are dirty or unworthy is a denial of what Christ did on the cross.

Remembering one of my favorite verses Romans 2:4, "God's kindness leads you toward repentance." It is His goodness that draws us to repent because the Holy Spirit in us is grieved by sin. Going back to the beatitude, "blessed are those that mourn, for they will be comforted." Godly sorrow brings repentance and repentance brings forgiveness and forgiveness releases healing and freedom...and nothing is more comforting then that!

Papa God continued to speak to me about repentance at the conference I just attended. The conference theme was glory and intimacy. A line I wrote down in my notes was "clean conscience by repentance." You see, it is clear, repentance is necessary for those who want to walk more intimately with the Father. Not because we have to be "good enough," or "perfect," but because sin puts up a wall between us and our Daddy. I want what grieves Him to grieve me.

Let's take this up a notch and move from personal repentance to corporate repentance. I believe repentance is a good word for the current state of our nation. I am reminded of II Chronicles 7:14, "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

This verse is quoted often when people are focused on the doom and gloom state of the government, economy, culture, etc. But I want to warn you don't be so quick to claim this verse without reading it carefully. Notice it clearly states we are to "turn from wicked ways." This is repentance in a nutshell.

Do you see the cause and effect pattern in this verse? Calling on His name leads to humility, where we fall on our face seeking His. When we truly seek His face we are struck with our need for repentance. Repentance clears the lines between us and heaven so we hear His voice. We then are able to receive forgiveness and healing! Isn't that amazing?!?!

Pointing the finger at one political party or person isn't the answer. Rioting, boycotting, name calling, petitioning, etc aren't the answer. Repentance is the answer, it's right there in the Book!

You might be wondering what this has to do with you? May I suggest it starts with you? Humble yourself and confess and repent from the sins of our fathers. Yes, you can repent for past generations in order to bring about change for future generations!

I have recently participated in such intercession. I was lead to repent for the sins of pride, rebellion and fear for myself and this region. Ask Holy Spirit to reveal to your heart what sins on behalf of your region and you, personally, need to repent for.

This blog has taken two different courses, thank you for staying with me. In short, walk in a lifestyle of repentance for yourself, then do your part to bring about repentance for your city, state and nation. Then praise God for His faithfulness to honor His promise to "heal," in your heart and your land!

I thank You, Papa God, that Your kindness and goodness is what leads us to repentance! I want my heart so in line with Yours, that I am grieved when You are grieved! Thank you in advance for healing my heart and healing my city...it truly does make My Soul Sing!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting Amy. I love this!! I read somewhere that repentance is our glorious right! It enable us to draw close to the Father. We look at it the wrong way--instead we should be running to Papa!!

    ReplyDelete