Friday, April 20, 2012

Sounds fruity to me!

As I sit on my sofa this morning I can hear the contractor in our master bathroom.  We are a little over a week into a remodel and I'm already anxious to see it complete.  

Last month I went to hear one of my all time favorite speakers in Knoxville, Graham Cooke.  I've referenced him before in several blogs, but mainly this one.  

It's important for us to realize God isn't dealing in negatives, because He dealt with sin once, and for all, on the cross (I Peter 3:18.)  He doesn't see what is wrong in your life, He just sees what is missing in your encounter/experience with Him.  

How I long to see myself and others how heaven sees them!  I don't know about you, but the negative about a person is more obvious to me sometimes than the positive.  This is truly an area where we need to line up our thoughts to His and remember, His ways and thoughts are higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8.)  

Graham had us ask Holy Spirit this question, "which fruit(s) of the Spirit do You want to develop in my life right now?"

Let's take a look at the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5:22, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things there is no law."

What I have come to realize is we often try to manifest the fruits of the Spirit in our own strength, by good behavior or following the rules.  We've missed the most critical aspect...they are FRUIT.  

Fruit can be defined as "anything produced or accruing; product, result or effect; return or profit."  Fruit is produced by abiding in the Spirit.  You don't go to the store and decide today you're going to purchase some love, peace and joy...no, you go to Him and ask, "Father, I want to manifest the fruit of love, peace and joy.  What am I missing in my knowledge (encounter/experience) of You that I need in order to walk in the fruit of love, peace and joy?"  Perhaps you need to experience His deep life changing love for you before you can love the unlovable?

What if your situations and circumstances were designed to develop the fruits in you?  This would certainly require you to seek God, spend time with Him and gain His perspective...requiring fellowship with Him...He wants fellowship with us, it's why He created you and me!

So, back to the question, "which fruit(s) of the Spirit do You want to develop in my life right now?"

When I asked Him this question his response was, "patience."  Not what I wanted to hear...at all.  C'mon, Father, can't we work on developing some more joy, what about love?  Patience?  Seriously?

Well, friends, He obviously knows what He is doing, because patience is definitely an area in which I need an upgrade.  Several situations in my life right now are teaching me patience, but the most obvious (and the least personal) is walking through having our master bathroom remodeled.  Admittedly, I've become accustomed to my roomy bathroom and the convenience of awakening in the night to go to the potty and not having to venture very far to do so.  Currently my toilet is sitting in the middle of the bathroom floor.  Patience.

Remodels hardly ever go off without a hitch...you encounter issues you weren't expecting (perhaps a dead rat under your shower, mold under your floor or uneven walls:/)  Patience.  

If knowing yourself is important, one thing I know about me is this, it probably wouldn't be a great plan for us to build a house or do remodeling very often:)  It's just not my cup of tea.  But, one thing I do know, I'm claiming my upgrade in the patience department...not wasting my opportunity to become more like my Daddy...He is the most patient of ALL!

So, what are you waiting for?  Ask Him the question, "Holy Spirit, which fruit of the Spirit do You want to develop in my life right now?"  He will answer...Holy Spirit is the most excellent Teacher!  Start looking at your current circumstances in light of His answer and watch how much clarity you will receive.  Instead of seeing through a lens of negativity, see through heaven's eyes and watch how He transforms you from glory to glory!

Living a life seeking more of heaven, growing in the grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ makes MY SOUL SING!

If you enjoy reading My Soul Sings, please consider following this blog and sharing it with your friends!  Many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment