Tuesday, March 2, 2010

God is speaking, are you listening?

First I want to begin by stating this post is not doctrine, theology or even a translation of the passage of scripture I will reference. This is simply me sharing with you a way in which God spoke to me through His Word and through nature around me.


When we box ourselves into thinking God only speaks through His Word we will miss some wonderful opportunities to hear Him speak to us otherwise. Although I do believe when He speaks to us outside of scripture it will be consistent with His nature. In fact, that is one way to discern His voice...it will always be in line with His Word and His character.


Hopefully your eyes and ears will be open to ways He is speaking to you in everyday circumstances! It is also probably an appropriate time for me to state I do not believe in coincidences. I see God in everything and I seek to hear Him in everything. He is speaking, it's up to us to listen:)


Here in Southeast Tennessee we have experienced the most snowfalls I can remember. I've lived 28 of my 38 years in Chattanooga and I don't remember more snows than those of 2010! In a recent conversation, a friend mentioned she planned on asking God what He was saying through these frequent snow showers. I thought this was a great idea, but wasn't necessarily planning on asking Him myself. Although I did immediately think of Isaiah 1:18 which says, "Though your sins are as scarlet, they will be as white as snow."


It wasn't until several days later when it was unseasonably warm and sunny He got my attention. You see, not only have we had record snows, but record rainfall...which means our weather has been dreary. Even on days when it's not raining or snowing most of them have been gray and cloudy. So a sunny and warm day has been a rare treat this winter.


On this particular day the sun was shining and people were talking about how wonderful the weather was. He led me to another passage in Isaiah. This time it was Isaiah 60:1-3...


"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and His glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of Your dawn."


I read the above passage and postured myself to hear what the Lord was wanting to say to me. This is what I heard (again, this was for me and I'm sharing it with you. It is your responsibility to test this word for yourself:)


The darkness in this verse to me represents evil. The thick darkness over the people represents depression and mental illness, both of which are rampant in the earth right now. I might also add here neither are from God, but from the enemy. Remember God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and sound mind. (II Tim. 1:7) He also says in Isaiah 61:3 He gives us a spirit of praise instead of despair. Clearly, depression and mental illness are not from our Daddy!


The gloomy weather has represented the darkness. The repeated snowfalls represent His glory! We are made pure by the blood (covering) of Jesus! I began to see the snow as a blanket of His glory covering us in these dark days!


Then the unseasonably warm and sunny day represented His LIGHT! The Lord is rising over us with His light which is able to penetrate all darkness (evil)! As believers we are the "kings" in the verse drawn to His brightness, because He is the King of kings! I believe the Lord is saying He is drawing His people to Him like never before...we must be listening and watching!


I found this revelation very encouraging, which is another way to discern it was from God. Our Daddy is speaking to us via many avenues. I encourage you to be watchful and listen...what is He saying to you? He may speak through a message, a song, a billboard, an advertisement, nature, another person, the time on the clock when you awaken in the middle of the night...His ways are not our ways and we can miss Him speaking if we aren't paying attention.

My Soul Sings because my Creator is gloriously creative and not boxed into speaking only through words! Speak O Lord, your servant is listening! (I Samuel 3:9)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I have mot been around in awhile. There's beem a lot going on, so I have a lot of reading to catch up on. I admit this is a post I must think about. I agree God is not limited to any source, and all things are made by and for him. I am not sure I can agree that Mental ilness only has spiritual a compent, or that there is not a medical compent. Surely part of that must come from being in a fallen world, and the universal effects on our fleshly body. I'll catch up on the many posts I've missed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. T.J.! Good to hear from you! I just posted a song to my Facebook written and directed by your fav, Smitty! It's awesome and I thought of you when I came across it!

    I don't believe those things are from God. Yes, absolutely they are the result of living in a fallen world, but I don't think they are from the kingdom of God. As stated in the prayer, "on earth as it is in heaven." I don't believe such things exist in heaven, so I don't accept them as being from God here on earth.

    I realize this is not popular opinion and I'm okay with being different in this area:) As I stated at the beginning of this blog I'm not out to change anyone's mind or opinion...just freely expressing mine! Love you girl! Hope things are well in your world! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete