Monday, March 1, 2010

Word Up!

For this Word Up! post I want to focus on a name of God. Several years ago I learned the importance of studying the names of God. I realized knowing who He is builds a more intimate relationship with Him.

There are countless characteristics and attributes about God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. You could spend a lifetime getting to know them all. The more you understand and experience His character, the greater understanding you will have of who He makes you as a believer in Him!

Knowing Him this intimately will also change how you pray. The more you encounter His heart, the more in line with heaven your prayers will be (on earth as it is in heaven.) You can pray the will of God because He will have aligned your heart to His! This only comes through a close and deep relationship, which He longs to have with each of us.

Prior to Genesis 16:13 we find Hagar, Sarai's maid, in an encounter with the Lord after running away from Sarai. Hagar is carrying Abram's child. The angel of the Lord has told Hagar her son's name will be Ishmael. Hagar is dealing with her emotions after being harshly addressed by Sarai. God meets Hagar in her place of pain.

Genesis 16:13 "So she called the name of the LORD who spoke to her, "You are a God of seeing," for she said, "Truly here I have seen Him who looks after me." It is in this verse where we are introduced to El Roi, the God who sees.

Another place in scripture we see El Roi is in Psalm 139. He saw us while we were still in the womb! Way before 3-D and 4-D ultrasounds!

What area of your life do you take comfort in knowing God sees you? I feel especially loved knowing my heavenly Father is watching over me. He sees each tear I cry. He watches as I go through disappointments, hurts and victories. Nothing in my life is too small or insignificant to Him. He sees everything and longs to meet me in each place, in both joy and sadness...simply another reason knowing Him makes my soul sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment