Friday, February 26, 2010

No tomatoes, oh my!

I went into my friendly Walmart store this afternoon where I visited the Subway.  As I approached the counter the dismayed young man working said, "I just have to tell you, we are out of tomatoes!"  He said it with an air of defense like I was going to hold him personally accountable.  

The lady in front of me was joking with him about how this was a grocery store and why couldn't they just go get some tomatoes from the produce department.  She was teasing him, but by his response I could tell he was in no mood for folly. 

I joined in the lighthearted conversation and she said, "we are nice customers, we're just giving you a hard time."  He replied, "yeah, not everybody is nice and I don't have no respect for those that disrespect me."  He went on ranting about how he doesn't get paid enough to do this job and get disrespected by customers. 

I know enough about hurting people (due to the fact I once was one and I minister to wounded people on a weekly basis) to know with his current attitude he will never rise above "working for the man" for a meager hourly wage.  But I didn't allow this to stop me from taking advantage of the opportunity to love him unconditionally. 

Everyone has a story and I certainly don't know his...I just know he is discouraged and by what he was saying, deeply wounded...people are talking, are we really listening?  If we listen the Lord will allow us to see into their heart beyond the gruff exterior and into the areas of hurt.

Before you go imagining me pulling out my KJV pocket Bible and a couple of evangelistic tracks, think again.  Evangelism is NOT one of my spiritual gifts...in fact, on every spiritual gift assessment/test I have taken I score the lowest in evangelism.  I'm not saying this kind of witnessing is wrong, it's just not my style.  I just was drawn to show this boy the love of Jesus through kind actions and words...not preach to him about his lack luster attitude. 


In the end it's the love of Jesus that draws people to the Father.  In fact, I didn't even mention Jesus in our conversation.  But I know he encountered the love of Jesus through me.  I had spent the morning talking to Jesus, worshiping Jesus and basking in His presence....yes, I was having a grand day and; therefore, I was able to give away some of my joy from the overflow in my heart.  I was living from heaven to earth and so I was not effected by his mood or attitude.

He remarked, "not everybody is as understanding as you about the tomatoes."  I replied, "it isn't your fault the store is out of tomatoes.  I believe if we want to receive respect we must first give it away, it truly comes back to us."  Now I could have told him about the Biblical law of sowing and reaping...but fortunately for him I left the preacher girl side of me at home:)

Friends, I hope you see where I'm going with this story.  It had nothing to do with tomatoes.  I would be willing to guess this boy has a rejection issue and when customers "go off" on him he takes it personally...thus the gruff exterior...I will hurt you before you hurt me thinking.

There is a quote I've seen several times recently, "be kind to everyone you meet, because everyone is going through some kind of battle."  I would say this is true.  Who knows what a kind word from us will do for those in the midst of a battle. 

He was incredibly slow at sandwich making might I add.  While I was waiting the delivery truck came and brought the tomatoes.  I was able to have my sub with tomatoes and he even added extra.  As I paid I said to him, "you are doing a great job, have a nice day."  Those words of encouragement cost me nothing, but who knows, they might have meant everything to him.

I love Proverbs 16:24, "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."  Proverbs 18:21 is another favorite, "The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit."

I would like to be able to tell you I walk around releasing words of life everywhere I go, but sadly, that is not the case.  What was different about my trip to Subway today?  I was filled.  When we try to give and our hearts are empty or dry we usually don't make the mark because it is from our flesh.  You might get the best of Amy, but you don't get His best which is far superior to anything you will get from me.  When we are filled with the Spirit of God and our hearts and minds are set on Him giving away His presence comes naturally and without great effort because it comes from a place of overflow and abundance.

After reading this post some of you will be inspired to give more encouraging words.  That would be good, but you would be missing the more important point I feel the Lord is wanting me to share with you.  If you read this post and thought to yourself, "I need to spend more time being filled with His presence" than you win the golden ticket:) 

Spending time in His presence, being filled with His glory and then being able to release encouragement, joy and presence to others makes MY SOUL SING, it will make your soul sing too...give it a try!

1 comment:

  1. That is so true!
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. by Plato

    You were a blessing to that soul on that day.

    From Sam
    ( I am signed in on my daughter's google account for some reason:-)

    ReplyDelete