Thursday, February 11, 2010

Word Up

I get asked occasionally what my favorite scripture is. I have an awfully hard time narrowing it down to one! When I first began developing a thirst for the Word of God I quickly acquired many favorites. The more I study and grow in the knowledge of Him, the more verses get added to my ever multiplying favorites list. Instead of limiting myself to one or two I'm going to spend some time blogging about many of them. Not sure yet if this will form into a series or become a regularly featured topic. It will be fun to see which direction it will take!

I love using different translations of the Bible. On a daily basis I use the New International Version. I am finding I also really like the New American Standard, New Living and Amplified versions equally well. Of course it's always fun to read passages of scripture from The Message, which is known more as a paraphrase, than a translation.

I love it when a translation starts out a verse with the word beloved. My name means beloved...so it's extra meaningful to me. Of course I can attach "beloved" to the beginning of any verse and it would apply and you can too, because, as believers, we are all the beloved of Christ:) Sometimes I will insert my name in place of the pronoun used. I will do this especially if I am claiming a promise of God or declaring truth about my identity as a child of God.

Something else I developed the habit of doing several years ago is writing in my Bible a date beside a verse or passage when I have experienced it personally. When I encounter the living God through His Word I want to remember it. Not only do I enjoy looking back on these notes, I am leaving a legacy to future generations of my spiritual journey.

I hope by sharing my favorites you will be encouraged to dig into God's Word and discover your own treasures. Again I want to remind you my commentary on this blog is not doctrine...it's simply what I feel I have heard from the Lord. I am not a theologian. I think this is the third time I have said this and it won't be the last....allow Holy Spirit to be your Teacher!

We will begin this journey in the beginning...what a novel idea:)

Genesis 1:26-28 (NAS)

Then God said,"'Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them; and God said to them, " Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

This passage is full of meaning and significance, but I will share what speaks to me about them. First, notice God refers to Himself as Us meaning, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I love the fact the three in one God existed before time began, not just the Father. This blows my mind and I just can not comprehend it.

Second, we are told here for the first time we are made in the image of God! This verse and others like it were especially powerful to me when I was walking in self-rejection and low self-esteem. I did not like who I was and I really did not like my appearance. Then I realized I was made in the image of God. To say I was ugly was like saying He was ugly!

Third, this verse tells us we were given dominion over the earth and everything in it, even "every living thing that moves on the earth," not a coincidence because Satan would appear just two chapters later as a serpent.

Adam and Eve gave up their right to subdue the earth and rule with their choice in the garden...BUT Jesus came to earth and gave His life on the cross and by His sacrifice we were given dominion back!!!! Jesus gave us this authority in the great commission found in Matthew 28:16-20.

I often explain this authority to people when I am ministering to them. When someone seems to be continually struggling to walk in victory as a follower of Christ it usually indicates they have given authority to the enemy. The only power the enemy has over you is that which you give him! This doesn't mean we always knowingly give it to him. Through active and generational sin the enemy is given legal access to our lives. Another way we give the enemy authority is by believing lies. When we believe a lie we empower the enemy to work in our life. We have the power in the name of Jesus to shut these sin doors, replacing lies with truth and walk in a life of victory! All because of JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see this is probably going to take me awhile if I go into such details with each verse or passage:) Looking forward to sharing more of my favorites over the days, weeks...ahem, months ahead! Carrying the Sword of the Spirit (the Bible) in my heart absolutely, undeniably makes my soul sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment