Friday, February 5, 2010

Parenting and Loving Every Minute of It! It's a WRAP!

Here we are at the end of our parenting series. I trust the Holy Spirit has taught you something:) As we journey through parenting the Lord promises to give us all the wisdom we need. We simply have to ask Him for it (James 1:5) Not just in parenting, but in life, He is the source of wisdom.

I am by no stretch of the imagination a parenting expert. I do not claim to have all the answers. I am much like the rest of you reading these posts...I was in search of something better, something healthier and something that would work. True to His nature God was there to answer my cries for help. I'd like to share two verses attesting to this truth.

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

Matthew 7:8 "For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."

God is certainly not hiding from us. He is not playing hard to get. He is waiting for us to come to Him. When I decided I couldn't parent without His divine aid I ran to Him and pleaded for help. I knew what we were doing was not working...I was tired, frustrated and wishing the days and months away. Just getting from one day to the next was my goal. I wasn't living an abundant life. There had to be a more excellent way. I desired to raise children who loved the Lord with all their hearts. Children who knew the love of the Father because it had been modeled to them through their earthly parents.

God heard my cries and I fully believe He led me to "Loving Our Kids on Purpose." When I first read the book about a year ago I knew it was something I wanted to share with others. So much so I went and spent almost $200 on books and the DVD teaching series. It wasn't until hearing Danny speak in person I fully grasped these principles and the fire from last year was re-kindled. I knew I couldn't keep this knowledge to myself...I had to share it with anyone who would listen (or in this case, read:)...from this passion "Parenting and Loving Every Minute of It" was birthed.

There are other areas I feel much more "equipped" to address, so to write a parenting series was definitely a leap of faith, a most humbling experience and act of God. I thank Him and praise Him for using me as His mouthpiece.

Where do we go from here? I can't answer for you, but I have shared through these posts what it has looked like for me. This past Monday my teenager was out of school, but my 10 year old was not. I was able to spend the day with Rachel, just the two of us. The Lord had told me I would need to eventually go to Rachel and ask for her forgiveness...then He provided the perfect opportunity to do so.

This was a tender and sacred moment for me, but I feel He is asking me to share it with you. I said, "Rachel, mom needs to talk with you a minute and it's really serious." She looked at me with wide eyes thinking she was in trouble...I had her attention so I simply said, "baby, I need to ask you to forgive me for all the ways I have misrepresented Jesus to you. I haven't always loved you the way you needed to be loved. I have lost my temper and yelled. I was afraid and tried to control you. This isn't Jesus. Jesus loves you so very much and is very patient with you. Will you forgive me for this? You probably have already seen things changing around our house. Things are going to continue to change. Jesus is showing us a better way. I love you very much and want only the best for you and your sister." She simply smiled at me and said, "I forgive you."

Even though I had started to implement LOKP methods I had yet to eat the big slice of humble pie I knew was necessary before proceeding further. I had apologized to both girls for particular incidences as they had occurred, but I hadn't swallowed the "big one." Repenting of past mistakes before the Lord and then before those you have hurt is a major step toward walking in an environment of honor. Ask the Lord to show you what this looks like for you...your experience will be different from mine.

I want to leave you with several questions to ponder.
  • Are you scared of your children's sin? (Scared people want to have control.)
  • Do you believe there is greatness in your children? Ask the Lord to show you how to call it to the surface.
  • Is your parenting style reflective of heaven?
  • Do your children see Jesus in you?

It is my prayer you have seen the redemptive side of Christ in my story and please know He desires to lavish you with the same redemption. There is nothing impossible for Him and through Him you can parent like Father God!

In closing let's read the famous scripture on love from I Corinthians 13:4-7 "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures though every circumstance." (NLT)

My Soul Sings because my God is love and through Him I can love on purpose!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I have learned SO MUCH from this. May God continue to bless you every day.

    ReplyDelete