Thursday, January 7, 2010

Unique, Gifted and Glorious!

I posted a status on my Facebook from a book I am reading by Larry Randolph titled, "Breathe: Expressing your individuality in a world suffocating from sameness." I realized the quote was a wonderful starting point for a blog entry.

Larry does an excellent job laying out why it is important for us to express our individuality and how God is the Creator of divine diversity...no need for me to re-write it for him. So the purpose of this post is to elaborate on the quote I used which was:

"Instead of building self-esteem based on the unconditional love & acceptance that's available in Christ, we have fostered a religious mindset that seems to equate self-abasement with humility. This deceptive mindset undermines our value as treasured sons & daughters of God."

First some definitions:

Self-abasement: humiliation of oneself, especially as a result of guilt, shame, or the like. (dictionary.com)

Humility: the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc. (dictionary.com)

It is important to realize that false humility is a pride issue. Any focus on self, rather it be positive (ego) or negative (false humility/self-abasement/low self-esteem) is rooted in pride. A person who is constantly focused on their lowly status is still as guilty of drawing attention to themselves as one who has smoked a good amount of ego. I'll let you take a moment and think about that one...

Now, let's switch gears a little. I believe we each are given a portion of God's character. It is our call in life to use this measure to bring Him glory. Ephesians 4:13, "Until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ." On this side of heaven we have a part, but one day we will have the whole. Sweet! That butters my toast:)

You and I were created in His image (Gen.1:27, Rom. 8:29) Another
quote from Larry's book is, "I'm learning that the ultimate deception is to say I love God and yet despise myself. I'm beginning to understand that if I am created in the image of God, then a part of God looks like me. This means to truly love God, I must love myself." Each of us is a divine expression of our Father's creativity...it's time we started acting like one! When we self-abase we are actually criticizing our Father's work!

Now, before you go and get all twisted about what I've said here, let me say this doesn't mean there aren't parts of you that need to go:) Lie based thinking, wounding, current or former sin patterns, ungodly habits, fears, etc. need to hit the road in order for you to more fully represent King Jesus...and the good news is He has given you the power through the Holy Spirit to do just that! And, as if you needed a bonus, He has removed our sins as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12) He is such a good, good daddy!

I've just scratched the surface on this topic, but here is what I want to leave you with today.

*Start seeing yourself the way God sees you.
*You are free from sin.
*You are made in His image. His image is beautiful (meaning you are too)
*You carry a part of God's character no one else has, use it to bring Him glory.
*You are a saint.
*You are powerful.
*You are royalty, yes, trust me, you are! (Future post topic)
*You are an individual piece of art, with high value.

Truly knowing who you are in Christ will not produce arrogance, but confidence. Not confidence in yourself, but in the Christ who is in you and this will bring Him glory! Just another reason why my soul sings!

No comments:

Post a Comment