Sunday, January 3, 2010

Divine BFF

BFF-an acronym meaning "Best Friends Forever" used by every teenage girl I know and becoming increasingly popular among adult women. I had to give a definition for the few, very few, of you that might not have known what BFF was:)

Today I would like to talk about my Divine BFF, aka, Jesus Christ. I recently encountered a person who shared with me their brother was a new believer. Although he had accepted the free gift of salvation, he was having great difficulty grasping he was now God's friend.

As I listened to this person reveal their heart's desire for their loved one to know Christ as friend I was reminded that I haven't always seen Christ as my friend. You see it hasn't been that long ago I would have shared his view of God. How could the Creator of the universe be my friend?

During a season of inner healing Holy Spirit revealed lies I had believed about the nature and character of God the Father, Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit. It was then I renounced the lie God isn't my friend and accepted His truth found in John 15:15.

Let's look at John 15:15 in the New Living Translation, "I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me."Jesus is saying we are His friends! I certainly had a slave mentality, not able to see myself as Christ's friend.

Do you see yourself as merely a slave or are you a friend of God? There is power in the relationship between a believer and God. From this place of power you can walk in victory over the work of the enemy. You start to see things from His perspective which for me has taken away fear and anxiety about the future or situations beyond my control. The more I learn of God through an intimate relationship with Him the more courage, peace and strength I have found. Not "learned" in an intellectual sense, but experienced in the heart. A secure sense of who He is in me and who I am in Him has made all the difference in my spiritual walk.

God is waiting for each of us to experience Him! Experience His kindness, His love, His power, His gifts, His strength, His wisdom, His provision...to have a love encounter with your Best Friend that will change your life...to take you from a slave mentality to a relationship mentality.

Perhaps referring to God as my BFF is a little cliche, maybe a little too familiar for some or irreverent to others...but it's the best way to describe this relationship I have with a God who is completely holy, but also completely approachable...and this is why my soul sings!

2 comments:

  1. Sister this is awesome and so where I'm at right now... Thanks! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy for the reminder~ being his friend is AWESOME~ finding my way back~ :) Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete