Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Highlighted Song-It Ain't Easy

Music...I absolutely LOVE it! I've always liked music. I grew up listening to a wide variety of styles. I have an appreciation for big band, the golden oldies,
80's rock, bluegrass and country (having been backstage at the Grand Ole Opry in high school) and, of course, southern gospel (which, by the way is my absolute least favorite...sorry:)

Over the past few years I have listened mainly to Christian music and even more specific in the last year, Spirit filled worship music. I confess I am not a radio listener (big gasp, being raised with a radio dad I am thankful for the industry that paid for my housing, food and clothing, but I'm just not a fan of what is predominantly played on Christian radio stations. There is so much more out there, undiscovered.)

On this blog I have compiled a lengthy playlist of some of my favorites...there are many more I would consider to be favorites, but they weren't available on the playlist. I know not everyone will like the style of music I do and I'm not at all offended if when you visit My Soul Sings you choose to pause the playlist or turn down your speakers. However today's post is going to highlight one of the songs because, quite frankly, I can't get the lyrics out of my head. This song, with it's simple message, has rocked me.

During the last part of 2009 the Lord really started speaking to me about love. Real love...His love and the way He loves and how we are commanded to love how Jesus loves. A tall order, yes...impossible, no. If it were impossible to love like Jesus He wouldn't have commanded us to do so.

So I decided my focus or theme for 2010 would be to learn to love like Jesus. I hope to write a follow up post to this one addressing this...if I don't within the next couple of weeks you have permission to remind me:)

I stumbled upon this song after being introduced to Jason Upton's music...I had heard some of his stuff, but hadn't really explored his offerings...now, I'm addicted. I believe he has recorded 13 albums...pretty good for someone who is relatively unknown.

Without further adieu I invite you to read the lyrics I have posted with this post and, if you like, listen to the song from my playlist. I have moved "It Ain't Easy" to the number 2 spot, so it will be easy to find. I pray as you listen Holy Spirit would touch your heart, prick it so to speak...may you be encouraged to start loving like Jesus and may this song become your prayer, as it has mine...He is willing to teach us to love like this, are you willing to learn?

I have learned in order to walk in the power that is within me I must be willing to be teachable...to give it all and expect nothing back...and this is why My Soul Sings.

It Ain't Easy by Jason Upton

I am learning to be a father but I really don’t know how
To be willing to care for others more than I love myself

It ain’t easy learning to love like you

I am learning to love my neighbor and to live by the golden rule
But it’s so hard when I’ve been lied to
I feel like a fool forgiving a fool

It ain’t easy learning to love like you

I am learning to be faithful with the little that I have
To do like Jesus and turn the tables
To give it all to get nothing back

It ain’t easy leaning to love like you

1 comment:

  1. I don't listen to the radio much either and I LOVE discovering new music! The internet has been a great place to hear new artist and spirit fill music! Thanks for sharing! =)

    ReplyDelete