Thursday, January 7, 2010

God, Icy Roads and a craving for Mexican

God sure does speak in mysterious ways, doesn't He? He is so creative and is never limited to one or two ways of communication. Let me share with you the latest way He communicated to me.

Those of you in the Chattanooga area are well aware of our "snow" today.. I use the term "snow" loosely, because there really wasn't much snow, but more like an icy mess. Schools were dismissed early. So, I had been tucked away inside since getting my 4th grader home and was really unaware of the road conditions. Russell got home from work and I hadn't started dinner because I had a real hankering for Mexican.

I mentioned my craving to him in my best Southern belle drawl (ok, not really.) He responded, "Amy, the roads are pretty bad, cars in the ditches and traffic is heavy." I replied, "well I understand that road would be pretty bad, it's curvy and hilly, but if we go the other way to the Mexican place over there it's a straight shot and I think we can make it." Imagine batting of the eyelashes here (ok, not really, but it makes for a good story, eh?) I then added, "but if you don't think we can do it, don't worry about it, we can stay here...it's just I was really wanting Mexican."

Okay, those of you who know us know my husband is a prince, I mean the real deal. He doesn't deny me anything...ANYTHING! So, if I want Mexican and it's within his power, I will get Mexican...within minutes our family of four piled into the SUV and off we went.

Oh how I wished he had told me no! The roads were awful...a thin layer of ice in some areas completely covered the road, coupled with drivers who were using their brakes way too much and you have a big hot (well cold, but hot sounds better) mess!!! We made the trip in about 15 minutes and it normally would only take 5. Prince Russell pulls up to the door to drop me off and the sidewalk and parking lot are too slick to walk on...he sighs and I can tell he is starting to get aggravated.

I meekly say, "maybe we should just go home, this is worse than I thought." I get the "duh, you don't listen to me look" as he proceeded to gingerly turn the car back toward home...sliding as he does so, but at least we had the whole parking lot:)

The journey back home was even more treacherous. Traffic had gotten thicker. It was total silence in the car at this point, the girls were too scared to breath. I started praying. We slid this way...praying, slid that way...praying...uh-oh there goes a car into the ditch, help them Jesus...praying...asking the angels to keep our four wheels on the pavement. Praise God we made it home without incident. Fortunately I had food to prepare and dinner was on the table in less than fifteen minutes...and it was a good meal to boot!

Sooooooo...you are probably wondering how in the world God communicated to me in this...well, I'm getting there, but don't you like my story? Tee-hee:)

Dinner was done. Dishes clean. Girls were playing the Wii. I came into my bedroom to check Facebook...alone, somewhat quiet and I hear in my spirit,

"You know Amy I let you have your way sometimes too, even when I know it isn't the wisest decision for you to make."

Uh, hmmm, God?

"Yes my sweet girl. Just like Russell doesn't want to deny you anything, neither do I. But sometimes what you want and what is good for you aren't the same thing. But I still let you go your own way, because until you come to the conclusion yourself, you can't learn from the choice. You're pretty strong willed and once you decide on something, it's hard to convince you otherwise. Don't worry, it's how I made you. I thought it was good opportunity to point it out to you."

Yep...I get it Papa...and look at how I responded once I realized it was a bad idea...I prayed and cried for help. How many grand plans have I gone and implemented only to realize half way into them they weren't good ideas and then turn to You and cry, "Help! Help me God out of this mess I've created!" I started to recall times when I had great plans, but didn't seek the Lord for His input...but when the grand plans went sour I would run to Him and say, "God bless this mess!" I then heard Papa speak to my heart, "and I'm always there to save you."

Maybe as you are reading this you can think of those times in your life when God has had to pull you out of a mess. This incident of going out for Mexican on an icy evening pales in comparison to other messes I've found myself and I'm sure you can relate.

Friends, the next time you find yourself in a big hot mess, stop and look for Jesus. I promise He is there with you and He is waiting to show you the way out of whatever pigpen you've found yourself in. Our heavenly Papa is in all the details and nothing is too trivial for Him...and this is why MY SOUL SINGS!

1 comment:

  1. On another note, maybe you were there for those people in the other cars. You know you said a prayer for them. The Lord was with them and their babies in the backseat. Maybe one of those other drivers was an Unbeliever but the babe in the back is a future pastor. Just thought I'd also let you know I love this blog. Keep up the great work!
    PatsyVarnerGlover

    ReplyDelete